Sunday, March 2, 2008

It is NOT A Small World!

If anyone says that it's a small world we live in tell them to try running across even a small part of it!

Today was my scheduled long, slow run day with a target distance of 20 miles.  So I laced up the shoes just a little before 9AM and headed south from Lynnwood along one our suburban streets headed for Kenmore.
  • Note 1:  Why can't our suburban communities provide pedestrian friendly streets?  Really.  This is a major arterial that connects south to north and it doesn't even have a shoulder.  Hell, it's not even bike friendly.
At about 4 miles in I arrive in Kenmore and picked up the Burke-Gilman Trail at the north end of Lake Washington.  The reason for choosing this trail is that I can generally run for great distances without having to stop and wait for cars or lights at street crossings.  Generally I can run unimpeded at whatever pace I feel comfortable at without getting in anyone's way.
  • Note 2:  Cyclist, if you are going to ride at 25MPH, ride the streets or at least a less busy family trail.  Jeez, guys!  And, really, do you need to ride 3 abreast giving dirty looks at little old ladies walking their dogs and generally being terrorized by speeding 'Pace Lines'.  I'm a cyclist too but, I have to tell you, it annoys the crap out of me how you guys ride this trail.  That's why I stay off of it on my bike.

The middle miles on a long run are the best.  Everything from about mile 5 to about mile 18 just feels good.  You get into a groove and run on auto pilot while your mind wanders on to far more interesting things than running.  The miles click by at a very pleasing rate and it's actually easy to lose track of what mile you are on.  It's a good thing those miles are so good since the trail trends upward at a very mild yet steady grade from Lake Forest Park up to Ravenna.  It's not steep but if you're not careful it will kick your butt.  It was about here at around mile 12 that I began to have a bit of intestinal distress.  I was able to hold on down to just past mile 13 where I was able to convince the workers at the bike shop that it might be a good idea to let me use their restroom.  Thanks Bike Shop guys!
  • Note 3: Seattle Parks, could we arrange for a few potty stations along the trail?  I, for one, would really appreciate them.
At this point I am basically at the UW.  Running through this stretch can be at least a little interesting.  What, with all the young hard bodies (both male and female) flaunting their stuff.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I gotta say though, it seemed a bit cold for tank tops and sport bras.  Just sayin'.

I made Gas Works Park at just past mile 16.  I really am fortunate to live in an area that has so many cool distractions for my long runs.  Ok, so maybe those fun middle miles I was talking about earlier end at around mile 16.  It sure seemed to get into the 'not so fun' stuff soon after Gas Works.  It is still pretty cool running through the Fremont District and along the ship canal through miles 16 and 17 but somewhere around 17.5 the scenery just gets UGLY!

The industrial zone through Ballard is just plain nasty for running.  On a bike or in a car you at least get through this zone quickly enough but running..... you just gotta' endure.  And of course, I'm beginning to really hurt about mile 18.  This certainly doesn't help my mood.
  • Note 4:  Why is it that I do this?  Let's stop and discuss for just a moment.  I have a tendency to get sick, as in 'upset stomach' kind of sick.  My hips start hurting pretty bad.  Oh, the soles on my feet, they really take a beating.  Lower back begins to rebel.  Knees and ankles.... let's just not go there.  Fun?  I think, not.
Somewhere in mile 19 things get better, at least in the scenery department, when you get to the Locks.  If I wasn't hurting so much I would take a side trip over to watch a couple of boats get lifted from or lowered to the Puget Sound on their trip into or out of the Ship Canal and Lake Union.  Pretty cool stuff.  Seems like all that water being dumped through the Locks would empty that damn lake.... guess they got it figured out though,  still water in the lake.

Running does hurt though but I'm beginning to feel like the end is near.  It's amazing how fast miles tick by in the middle miles and how slow and grudgingly they pass in the late miles.  I check my GPS watch several times just to make sure it is even working.  Yep, running hurts. 
 
Finally I begin to see my destination, the Shilshole Marina Office where my loving wife is supposed to meet me.  Yea!  I'm gonna survive another long run!  After what seems like 3 miles I cover that last hundred yards or so and hit the stop on my watch.  21.07 miles.  That's far and it would be even farther if I was running around the world.  So, I have determined that the world is not such a small place after all.

At this point my loving wife has lost a little of her luster since I don't see her anywhere.  My phone rings (oh yeah, I do have the phone with me....) It's the loving wife.  She saw me pass her about a 1/4 mile back, she's parked at the Scandinavian Guy statue.

Damn.... you mean I have to walk back in the direction I just came?  Why didn't you honk, or yell, or something.... I would have gladly stopped!  Oh well, she redeemed herself by pulling out a towel, some dry clothes, and a sandwich when I got there.  Wow, what a gal!  Thanks babe.

Not too bad.  Scheduled a 20 miler but ended up doing just a touch over 21 at a moving pace of 8:55 per mile.  For those of you who want details, go here.

See, now you've gone and wasted your precious time reading about my masochistic ways.  Go on now.... go play.

Cheers!
Cap'n Ron

No comments: