Monday, April 28, 2008

Kerrel: So Long Washington

So Long Washington, I am on my way to France to visit with my daughter, go to a couple volleyball games, be on vacation, and open my mind up to new cultures.


After 4.5 hours flight to Toronto, CA. (2,081 miles…we could convert that to meters for you Canadians = 3, 349, 044.864 meters) I found myself eating lunch/dinner/breakfast (depending time zones) listening to the well known Candadian favorite "Do The Hustle", and multiple renditions of songs by Paula Abdul. (Pop Hits ?? Canada vs. America )



Ending in France, total travel time 16h 40 min, 30 min waiting for luggage, 1 minute for a THOROUGH investigation ("har har") by French immigration authorities (did they even look up from my passport?) and I was nervous about this part of the trip?!? ( Hey Jason, go Air Canada on time all the way!)



Thankfully relieved to see my daughter at the gate in Paris, hence "All systems were a GO for launch in France!"



While trekking through the Parisian Metro (underground rail) and intertwining streets I thought I found myself in a Motorcycle Show…in fact no, it was typical center of the street parking downtown Paris. (Ron/Bob/Casey too bad you all cannot park your motorcycle's in the street in front of the office!)


After dropping off my luggage at the hotel, I was off like "I was shot out of a gun" on a daughter-guided tour of "Centre-Ville" Paris. Here is a shot of the Champs- Elysee with the Arc-de-Triumph, my daughter and I are not sure what happened to the girl on the bicycle but we didn't hear any sirens so she must have survived.?



For all you unlucky people working in America, here's the Louvre, one of the most famous museums in the world and former living quarters of Napoleon and Louis V. If that doesn't beat your workday, I am going to have dinner with "my daughters adopted family" in Niort on Monday who's, grandfather has paintings of their family vacations in the museum on display. (Edouard Garrido for any Googler's)



Yes, they do sell Bud in France…





And YES they do sell Fords in France!! Though, both of them just a bit smaller!




Then Gameday in Niort France! Picture is of my daughter's team proclaiming on their legs "On Est En N2" (for all you none French) "We are in N2", which means to you American's that they are moving up to a higher level in the French Volleyball league after sweeping their current league and currently 19-0!

Honestly, this is the best team (men or women) I have ever witnessed in my entire life. Camaraderie, teamwork, communication between players and coach! Super star not one, but as a unit unstoppable!



Whether it was a team that I played on, coached ,or watched my kids play on, this group of girls are the Greatest! Photo Left to right "O" Raphael, "N" Aline, "E" Julie, "S" my Lacey (USA) ", "T" Aurelie, "E" Amsetou (Cameroon), "N" Juliette, "N" Anne-Laurent, "2" Anne (German).

They have one last game to stay undefeated…this coming weekend in Toulouse, lets hope for a perfect season. What a group of people in one spot at the same time from so many different corners of the world melded into one unit.

YOU GO GIRLS! ALLEZ LES FILLES!

……………………………………………………………………………………………

Two days from now off to Normandy to achieve a life time goal of mine to view the beaches where the Allied invasion occurred during WWII.

End of Stage 1 "THE FRENCH CONNECTION"

Cheers,

Kerrel!!!!

No comments: