Friday, May 9, 2008

Kerrel: The French Connection - Stage III

Stage III The French Connection began on Sunday 4-27-08 with an early start, and a 20 minute speed walk (with two very large suit cases in tow) from my daughter’s apartment to the rendezvous point for the volleyball team’s departure from Niort, France to Albi, France for her last regular season game.

Personally my estimation of the total distance covered in 20 minutes was approximately 27 Kilometers, but I am sure that total may be slightly exaggerated. Try chasing my daughter the professional athlete down the street sometime and you will know how I felt!

During the 5 hour trek by van southerly to our destination I got the pleasure of viewing some of the prettiest country I have ever seen, and the transition for the middle portion of France to the terrain typical for southern France.

Although southern France (like northern France) is rolling hills covered with well kept farms, cattle/sheep operations and crops ranging from vineyards to wheat fields, the vertical change from valley bottom to the top of each hill is far less in the south and the valleys much wider.

Upon arriving in Albi, we found ourselves downtown in the middle of some sort of cross-country running race. I was unable to find out just how far these people were running (due to my inadequate knowledge of the French Language I am sure), but the total number of participants made navigation to the site of the volleyball game a little difficult.

Game Time!

Some months ago I made the statement that my daughter’s team was the “New England Patriots” of France (I meant still undefeated). At the time I did not know just how prophetic that statement was going to be. Unfortunately, the girls from Niort fell to Albi in their last regular season game and ended with an overall record of 19-1.

The contest was hard fought on both sides, but this was simply Albi’s day! Regardless of the outcome of this contest, my daughters team from Niort has won their region and will begin the playoffs to determine the French overall champion of their division on Sunday May 11.

Below is a picture of the 3 foreign players (non-french) on my daughter’s team preparing to receive serve from Albi in game 4. On the left daughter Lacey (USA), Middle Amsetou (Cameroon), and right Anne (Germany).


Following the contest my daughter and I were fortunate enough to get transportation from the coach of the Albi team and his wife and the President of the Albi Volleyball Club to the hotel we had reserved for the night.

Just more proof of what a small world we live in, the coaches’ wife is from Wichita, Kansas and the two of us were born approximately 50 miles apart!

My original plan had been to depart Albi the day following the game with luggage and fly fishing gear in hand (yes I always take my fly gear with me!) and head for the Pyrenees for fly fishing and exploring. Due to weather and more importantly a limited opportunity for suitable transportation the decision was made to forego the fly fishing expedition and spend the next day touring Albi.

Below is a picture of downtown Albi with the cathedral in the background (this is a massive structure) and the Tarn River. The bridge in the foreground is the Le Pont Neuf which was originally constructed on 1866, and the bridge further down stream, the Le Pont Vieux originally constructed sometime in the 11th Century! Apparently the Pont Vieux has been damaged due to high flood waters, but never completely destroyed since originally completed!


And during our walking tour of Albi I found the location for a branch office of PGS, Inc. A little modification to the sign and we are set. Ron, I think you should allow me to handle the operation of this branch of your firm.


Following a day of touring Albi, it was time to get some sleep, and start the next day on our long train/bus/taxi ride back to Paris and my return to the US on Wednesday.

Wednesday, April 30 in Paris, and it is time for me to return home. A little excitement at the airport as a bomb scare near my check-in station with Air Canada caused a few delays, but I did manage to get luggage checked, navigate my way through security. I found out later that the bomb scare had actually been real. Luckily I had made it through security before the real excitement started. Apparently the French military took control of that section of the airport for a time to dispose of the “bomb”.

As I prepare for the long plane ride home (17 plus hours) my thoughts about this particular adventure and France in general are:

Paris is gigantic, and way too big of a place for me to spend much time,
France is loaded with beautiful scenery and friendly people………….and YES the local wines are fantastic!

I have had a wonderful time on this trip to France, however, it will really feel good to be home!

If, no let me say WHEN, I travel here again I want to spend more time at Normandy, visit the Pyrenees for some fly fishing (I know fly fishing is a dirty thankless job but someone has to do it!), and if possible check out the Alps.

Lift off from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport was successful and on time and with12 more hours of flight travel (while writing this I am somewhere over the Atlantic), it is home sweet home for me.

Cheers!

No comments: