Sunday, August 24, 2008

Idiot? Genius?

Woohoo!  Two straight days of doing continuous running for 4 miles!  I think I might be becoming a runner once again.  Hmmmmm, so what's next?


Well..... before you start yelling obscenities and declaring me mentally incapable of caring for myself, I have already entered and paid for the event.  From my April 29 post "I just signed up for the Portland Marathon in October".  Oh, and since I've already paid for the event and can't cancel, I might as well go down and pick up the t-shirt.  Right?  Not enough to convince you yet?  Well, what if I were to say that I was thinking of taking a run/walk approach to the whole thing?  Still not enough?  I've got, like.... 6 whole weeks to train.  Nothing?  Not convinced?  Hmmmmm...... I'll think of some more rationalization later.

Now hear me out - I'm thinking I can work hard to get at least one long run of 18+ miles, taking the run/walk approach, before the marathon.  I'll have to totally skip the taper period, of course. :-)  I tested the pace at the track today.  If I run a 9 minute pace for 8 minutes and then walk for 2 minutes I get a 10 minute mile.  Now, if I just do that 26 times I would get to the finish line with a time of 4:22:00.  Not quite a BQ but, under the circumstances, not a total bust either.

Crazy?  Maybe.

Cheers all,

The Cap'n


3 comments:

GVB said...

Crazy. Not smart. Compulsive. But what the hell. If I can run that damn course on one good leg, anything is possible.

Though, I was just in Portland and drive across the St. John's bridge. That reminded me of why I hated that damn race so much!

Eat the registration fee and join me in Seattle in November!

Cap'n Ron said...

If I do Portland, big IF, I won't run it hard enough to even count as a real marathon. Soooooo..... I could probably still do Seattle with you. I am even thinking that I can walk the damn Portland if the legs start crying too much.

We'll see. I still have 6 weeks you know.

Cap'n

rpd said...

Yup, "Crazy. Not smart. Compulsive" but a lot can happen in 6 weeks.

How are the pegs and all other attached body parts remotely involved in this thing we call running?

-R