Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hey, Look.... An update!

Took a little time this afternoon to put together a little update. This should keep the blog police off my back for a few days!

Around the Office:
Busy, busy, busy….
There is a lot of marketing going on around here including SOQ’s, proposals, phone calls, lunches, etc. We are working hard putting together new marketing materials including information regarding the new scanner. There will be 2 of us attending a 3 day course in government contracting that spans this weekend. The main purpose of these classes is to help us better serve our public sector clients and to better market to this sector. Then, the first week of March, I’m sending a couple of my senior guys down to California for a 5 day training course for the scanner and associated software. This is some pretty intense training and should give us the technical edge needed to compete in the scanning market. This training should also help us to become more efficient in performing and processing scans. We have a new office Tech that is starting on the 3rd of March. Forrest is an LSIT and will be directly in charge of managing the field crews and helping in the field when needed. We are really looking forward to the added depth of knowledge and extra help with the office load.

Leica ScanStation 2


Cool! What else can you say when referencing a piece of equipment that gives you a 3-D scanned image of a site collecting data at a rate of approximately 50,000 points per second! We did an ALTA/Design Topo of a site in Kirkland using the scanner with astounding results. Accuracy levels are every bit as tight as expected with independent redundancy checks meeting or beating stated accuracies. Here’s a cute little image of the scan we did in Kirkland. I like!


Upcoming Projects of Note:
Nothing huge but some interesting stuff none the less. We’ll be up at Oak Harbor to do some mapping for the Marina which will include extensive bathymetry and adjacent upland topographic mapping. One of our crews is headed over to Kennewick to do an ALTA/Design survey next week. This will be another opportunity to use our High Definition Laser Scanner, especially since one of the adjoining streets is highway 395…. Talk about busy streets! We’ve got a small wetland/fish habitat mapping project to get started on up in Skagit County. This survey will include the mapping of a slough and some high detail mapping of a bridge and flood control structures, more scanning. On top of this we have a couple of construction layout projects and a scattering of small surveys. All in all, things are looking pretty good for only the first week in February.

Marathon Training:
5 weeks in and all is going well. Last week was a nearly 40 mile week with a 14 mile long run. I spent a good amount of time working on speed including some intervals and hill work. Roughly 135 miles for the month of January. Worked pretty hard leading up to that mileage and was definitely feeling the fatigue. This week is a recovery week with only about 20 miles scheduled. I’ll spend more time on strength training this week and keep the runs shorter and slower. Next week’s long run is a scheduled 16 miler…. Long runs will start hurting soon. Once I get in the 18+ mile range I find the long runs get far more mental (and boring).
Weight loss has been a tough proposition. Not sure what is going on with the body but I feel like I’m running a calorie deficit but not losing any weight? I have to be careful not to cut the calories too much during the heavy mileage weeks otherwise energy levels will crash and the chance of injury goes up. Still want to lose that weight though! 13 weeks to go….. Boston or bust, baby!

Play Time:
Got the GS wheels back from Woody. That hurt a little more than expected. He was unable to save the front rim so he ended up using the hub and spokes off the destroyed wheel and replaced just the rim. Still saved a couple hundred dollars over a new setup and it's still stronger. New header is headed my way. I was going to just upgrade the entire exhaust but I got such a good deal on the new header that I decided to just save the money for other endeavors. I still need to get those new Ohlins installed but that will have to wait until next week. As long as they are on the bike before March 12 I'll be fine.

My annual trip to J-Tree in SoCal has been turned into a combined motorcycle/climbing adventure. I'm going to take about 10 days to do the trip leaving 2 to 3 days for climbing in the park. I'm just looking forward to actually seeing the sun and feeling warm!

Until next time....
Cheers!

2 comments:

GVB said...

It is clear that despite being busy at the office, you are BURYING me on the training. I can barely put together 25 mile weeks at this point, the I'm not building the base I want going into March. Time to step it up this week!

The trip south is starting to consume my brain...and with the announcement this week that Dave Matthews will be at Kokua Festival, I have a renewed energy for that trip as well. Goung to be a busy spring!

Cap'n Ron said...

Oh yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Dave Matthews at Kokua? That is gonna' be fun. You gotta go Dude! Sun, surf, music......

And that trip south is all I can think about lately. Barely 4 weeks away!