Monday, February 18, 2008

Redundancy!

I'm a Surveyor.  I'm a statistician.  I like redundancy.

What can I say?  If you don't show me more than one result, well.... I'm just going to assume the info has a blunder, I have no confidence.  If my crew sets up over a known point and measures a baseline to a second known point, they had better give me a full measurement to that second point so I can compare it to previous measurements.  If they don't, I'm just not really sure they know where the hell they are....  Come on guys.  Check your back-sites!

I'm a runner.  I like redundancy.... Yep, I like to repeat the same run so I can compare the results to previous runs.  Redundancy.  I get asked, on a regular basis, if I'm getting tired of my lunch run route.  I've run this little 6+ mile, one-way route more times than I care to count.

The cool thing about it is that I'm so familiar with the route that I'm able to judge my performance and how I'm feeling at almost any point within the run.  It's factual.  I have past measurements to compare it with.  Redundancy.  Yeah, baby!


I'm a sailor.  I like redundancy..... No, wait!  I don't like redundancy on the water, at least not when racing.  Sunday was a bit redundant.  Like, in a no wind kind of redundant way.  So little wind in fact, that we had to cancel racing because we ran out of beer under the postpone flag.


The one thing you learn by sailing in the Puget Sound is just how many light air days we get around here.  I have come to the conclusion that if you can deal with the challenges of sailing here you can pretty much sail anywhere in the world with confidence.


We have big tides, big currents, big rocks, shallow deltas, rip tides like nothing you have ever seen, heavy air that makes lead feel light, navigation hazards, fog, and the list goes on.  Man, do I love sailing!  One day, the Pacific will be mine!

'til next time,
Cheers!

No comments: