Monday, February 4, 2008

It's the Economy.....

Oh.....

.... and I thought we were just having trouble staying busy. Yep, it's a little slow at the PGS Office. Oh, don't get me wrong, we're holding our own and keeping the crews going. It's just that we like having a bit of a backlog of work. I know, we shouldn't be greedy, but I have a tendency to stress a little when I start worrying about my guys missing work.

Things really are going nicely and I believe that some decent projects will be kicking loose soon. I guess I'm just venting a little of my stress on the ol' keyboard. We are just now finishing up a nice 35 acre topography project over on the Kitsap Penninsula. We did get to put together our first complete project using the high definition laser scanner. That was fun and interesting and I'll be putting together a write up soon on that experience. The February training class that was supposed to be going on this week got cancelled. The next available class will be the first week of March and I've got 2 guys scheduled for the 5 days of training down in California. I'm looking forward to having a more intimate knowledge of how the software works. We get by just fine with it but I know that we will be able to be more efficient once the guys are trained.

I hope everyone is enjoying the LONG - COLD winter that we have been having. This could also have something to do with the general slowdown in our industry. Maybe? Ya' think? I don't think I've ever been so eager to get away from the winter weather here. Usually much more temperate. The mountains won't be accessible until late in the summer due to the snow pack that's piled up. Our usual spring river work will probably be delayed this year due to heavy river flows from the melt off. Of course this could require additional mapping for flood prevention. Gotta' look at the bright side.

I'll try to take the time to put together a more complete update later in the week.

Cheers all!

No comments: